Friday, April 22, 2011

Making the big bridge

 A few days of good to mediocre weather allows me to got to the point where you see the begining of the line from the end.  But we have a decent gulch that must be bridged to connect the line.  Can't avoid a bridge here.
 This was the last bit of curved track that had to be run from the small bridge over the stream .  No boulders, minimal grade, good weather, pretty easy going.
 This is a view of the gulch from the begining side.  I've laid out eight foot 2x8's to figure where to dig the posts.

I dug the first two post holes and drilled out 4x4 posts then bolted on the 2x8's.  Put them in the ground to see where to dig the next set of holes.  I made it bridge have a 1% grade to avoid having to have too much of a grade to reach the low spot of the little bridge.

 ‏ These 2x8's are bolted directly onto the 4x4's.  There is a 24 inch span between them and I'm using cedar 2x4's as ties to lay the track on.  I decided to add a third 2x8 joist between them to make it extra solid.  I did this by attaching a 2x8 accross the edge and using a joist hanger to attach the third 2x8 joist.  Once both ends were in I filled the post holes with quickrete fast set for post holes.

Since this end will need to accomodate joists from both sides, and since there will be an angle between them (this is a curved bridge) I'm using 2x6 cross beams to rest the ends of the beams on.  These are screwed to the 2x4's and 2x6's and a metal strap will connect each 2x8 to the next one.
 The completed joisted bridge frame with the middle 2x8's in place.  I used 1 1/2 inch trap rock for the approach for stability, this will be covered with the standard 3/4 inch trap rock (in use as ballast around the rest of the track) before the rail is laid.
 Cedar 2x4's cut and laid out, not secured yet.  Looks like a bridge!
The rail still needs to be attached to the bridge but the excitement is building as the two ends of the line are within spitting distance.  I haven't finally decided whether to continue the bridge or to fill in the gap with stone and dirt.  Looks like alot of (heavy) 5 gallon buckets so I think I'll extend the bridge a little more.  A gold spike ceremony is in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment